Fire Damage Prevention with SERVPRO of College Park
Turn-Key in time for Tur-Key!
As we welcome the cozy vibes of fall and prepare for Thanksgiving gatherings, it's crucial to ensure your home is safeguarded against fire damage. SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights / Landover are here with some quick tips to keep your festivities worry-free:
- Check Your Heating Systems:
Before the chill sets in, have your heating systems inspected by professionals. Clean out any debris, replace filters, and ensure everything is in top-notch condition. A well-maintained heating system reduces the risk of fire incidents.
- Mind the Kitchen:
Thanksgiving is all about delicious meals, but it's also a peak time for kitchen fires. Never leave cooking unattended, keep flammable items away from heat sources, and have a fire extinguisher within reach. An ounce of prevention ensures a pound of safety.
- Test Smoke Alarms:
As part of your fall home maintenance routine, test smoke alarms and replace batteries if needed. Early detection is key to minimizing fire damage. It takes just a moment and can make all the difference.
- Clear Chimneys and Dryer Vents:
If your holiday plans involve a cozy fireplace, ensure the chimney is cleaned and inspected. Additionally, clean out dryer vents to prevent lint buildup, reducing the risk of a fire hazard.
- Outdoor Safety Measures:
If you're using outdoor heating elements or decorative lights, ensure they are in good condition. Keep a safe distance from flammable materials, and never leave them unattended.
- Emergency Preparedness:
Lastly, be proactive. Have an emergency plan in place, including knowing escape routes and having contact information for fire restoration professionals, like SERVPRO, readily available.
This fall, prioritize safety, so you can focus on creating beautiful memories with loved ones. If unforeseen fire damage occurs, SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights / Landover are here 24/7 to assist you. Wishing you a safe and joyful Thanksgiving season! Call us for any fire damage or water damage at (301) 779-3662!
Tropical Storm Ophelia Spares Our Area, But Water Damage Lingers
While Tropical Storm Ophelia spared our immediate area from its direct impact, the aftermath brought unexpected challenges for some residents and businesses. At SERVPRO® of College Park, we understand that water damage can occur without warning, and our team remains committed to providing swift and efficient restoration services.
Tropical storms, even when not making landfall directly, can lead to increased rainfall and pose a threat of flooding. Recent incidents in our community have resulted in water damage to both residential and commercial properties. Whether it's a leaky roof, a flooded basement, or any other water-related issue, SERVPRO® of College Park is equipped to handle restoration needs.
At SERVPRO®, we pride ourselves on our expertise in water damage restoration. Our skilled professionals are available around the clock to respond to emergencies promptly. We employ advanced techniques and state-of-the-art equipment to assess and mitigate water damage, preventing further issues such as mold growth and structural damage.
Our commitment to the community goes beyond responding to emergencies. We understand the stress and disruption water damage can cause, and our goal is to restore normalcy as quickly as possible. SERVPRO® of College Park is dedicated to helping our neighbors through the challenges posed by unexpected water incidents.
Why Choose SERVPRO® of College Park:
- 24/7 Emergency Response: We're always here when you need us.
- Advanced Technology: We use cutting-edge equipment for efficient restoration.
- Highly Trained Professionals: Our team undergoes extensive training to handle various restoration scenarios.
- Local and Trusted: As a part of the community, we take pride in serving our neighbors.
While Tropical Storm Ophelia may not have directly impacted our area, the incidents of water damage emphasize the unpredictable nature of weather-related challenges. SERVPRO® of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO® of District Heights / Landover remains steadfast in its commitment to helping residents and businesses recover from water damage, ensuring that our community stays resilient in the face of unexpected events. If you're dealing with water damage, don't hesitate to reach out to us — we're here to restore your property and peace of mind.
SERVPRO of College Park Destroys Odors with Deodorization
A small fire can cause odors for years if the area affected is not properly cleaned. Fire smoke and soot damage in your home or business can create unpleasant and potentially permanent problems. When structural materials burn the smoke produced can travel throughout the whole structure leaving residues and deposits on surfaces and hard to reach places. Our certified technician specializes in getting rid of your offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage in your home or business.
Odors that may require deodorization:
- Cigarette smoke
- Pet odors
Our SERVPRO certified technicians will seek out and remove the source of the odor. Once the source is found, our team will use our SERVPRO line of cleaning products to treat and prevent the odor from returning. Any restorable item in affected areas will also be professionally cleaned and deodorized, including furniture, draperies and upholstery, electronics, art, flooring, walls, ceilings, HVAC air ducts and more.
We have the training and equipment to identify and eliminate these offensive odors. By identifying the cause of the odor and determining the conditions where it contacts surfaces, the odor can often be removed over time without a trace. Our technicians have access to several odor removal products capable of penetrating surfaces to neutralize an unpleasant odor thoroughly.
If your home or business suffers fire damage or other accident that requires deodorization services, contact SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights / Landover.
When a fire or water damage strikes your property, contact SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights / Landover to help make it “ Like it never even happened.” Call us at 301-779-3662
How to Handle Clean Water VS Contaminated Water
When your property has suffered water damage, leave it to SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights / Landover to take care of your water damage needs. It is important to understand the type of water you are dealing with to ensure proper cleanup. There are three types of water: clean water, gray water, and black water. Consider the following steps to help minimize damage or prevent further damage while waiting for help to arrive.
Three Types of Water
Clean water is water from a broken pipe, or other water source; rainwater is also considered clean water.
Gray water is clean water that has been untreated. Bacteria and other contaminants begin to grow on the clean water making the water hazardous.
Black water is highly contaminated water filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. Black water usually occurs from sewage damage, flooding or any natural disaster.
Damage from clean water tips
- Shut off the water source if possible, or contact our SERVPRO professionals to do so.
- Remove as much access water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and pop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water as there is potential for electrical shock or causing damage to the vacuum cleaner.
Damage from contaminated water
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage
- Do not want through contaminated areas
- Do not turn on HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure air flow can spread contamination
- Discard any food or products of personal hygiene if exposed to contaminated areas
Feel Free to reach out to our team for your restoration needs. SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO District Heights / Landover are here to assist you! Call us at 301-779-3662
SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville is IICRC Certified
Our team has decades of fire and water restoration experience in helping with the recovery process after a disaster. SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville specializes in cleanup, restoration, and construction of residential and commercial properties after a fire or water damage event. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility to regular Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC) industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. The following are some of our certifications.
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- ECTP - Employee Certification Training Program
- FSRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- HST - Health and safety Technician
- IICRC Certified Firm
- OCT - Odor Control Technician
- OSHA - 10-hour General and/or Construction Industry Training Program
- OSHA - 30-hour General and/or Construction Industry Training Program
- RRRP - Lead-Based Paint Activities and Renovation
- UFT - Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
The mission of the IICRC is to create and teach a set of standard practices and principles that promotes the health and safety of technicians and clients. It accomplishes this goal by creating standards for worker ethics, communication practices, and technical proficiency that all professionals must adhere to. When clients hire a certified firm by this organization, they are assured that the company will follow specific protocols to keep workers safe while efficiently performing high-quality work on any business.
When disaster strikes, trust our team to repair the damage. SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and District Heights/Landover has served the restoration and remodeling needs of Prince George’s County. Our commitment to the community and quality of work has made us one of the fastest growing companies in the nation.
Call us at (301) 779 - 3662 in Prince George County!
Call us at (301) 530 - 7400 in Montgomery County!
Be Prepared for Summer Storm in College Park, Hyattsville
SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville certified professionals have the experience and the equipment needed to cleanup and restore your home
It is important to be cautious when thunderstorms are in Prince George's County since they are often associated with lightning, flash floods, hail, high winds, and sometimes tornadoes which can all be incredibly dangerous. Read more to learn some helpful tips to follow during a storm.
Preventing Storm Damage
- Trim or remove trees (especially that are dead) that could fall on your home or place of work
- Install surge protectors, lightning rods, or a lightning protection system
- Sign up for your community’s warning system
- Know the risk for thunderstorms in Prince George’s County
During a storm, try practicing these safety precautions:
- Unplug appliances
- Put together an emergency preparedness kit
- Pay attention to alerts and warnings
- If you are playing in the water, get to land immediately and seek shelter
- Pick a safe place in your home for your family to gather during a storm
- Get inside your car and avoid flooded roads. It takes only six inches of moving water to knock you over and only one foot of moving water to sweep away your car
SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights/Landover is a full-service restoration and cleanup company. Our certified technicians specialize in mitigation, restoration, cleanup, and construction for both residential and commercial properties. Call us today at 301-779-3662 or 301-577-1166! Our Disaster Recovery Team stands ready to help 24/7.
SERVPRO Preventive Cleaning: Schools
It’s our goal to restore your school to its preloss condition with as little disruption as possible to students, teachers, and staff.
August is right around the corner, which means we are heading into another school year! At SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville we know it is essential to make sure your commercial property reaches a high standard when it comes to a clean and safe environment for your clients, employees, students, and teachers. Our certified professionals help childcare and educational facilities in College Park, Hyattsville, District Heights, Landover, and surrounding areas reach the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
This upcoming school year, SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville can help minimize your facility’s downtime so your staff can return safely. Our certified technicians will work with your school’s administration to assess water or other damage, regardless of the size or cause.
SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville is experienced in handling school water damage, fire, mold remediation, and the cleaning & disinfecting of facilities of all sizes, including:
- Early Childhood - Preschool and Nursery School
- Primary – Elementary and Middle Schools
- Secondary – High School and Academies
- Higher Education – College and University
- Industry Trade Schools
- Athletics – Gymnasium, Sports Complexes, and Stadiums
Call SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville certified professionals, when grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff. Whether removing an odor problem or deep cleaning floors or carpets, you can rely on our certified technicians to make your workspace look its best. We serve Prince George’s County. Maryland and beyond to ensure that schools, education & childcare facilities are clean and safe places!
To schedule a consultation for our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program, call us at 301-799-3662 or 301-577-1166. We are here to help!
Be Prepared in Case of a Fire in College Park, Hyattsville
Include your four-legged friends in mind when building an emergency plan.
Make sure pets are included in your family’s fire evacuation plan. Build an emergency kit for each pet in your household. SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville suggests a kit whose size and weight can be quickly and easily loaded into a vehicle when packing to evacuate.
- Pets may bump into, turn on, or knock over cooking equipment. Keep pets away from stoves and countertops.
- Keep pets away from candles, lamps, and space heaters.
- Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen on a fireplace and keep it in place.
- Keep pets away from a chimney outside vents. Glass doors and screens can stay dangerously hot for several hours after the fire goes out.
- Consider battery-operated, flameless candles. They can look and smell like real candles.
- Some pets are chewers. Watch pets to make sure they don’t chew through electrical cords. Any problems with electrical cords should be checked out by a certified technician.
Disaster Supplies Kit
- Copies of medical insurance & Medicare cards
- Warm blankets
- Extra clothing, especially socks & undergarments
- Bottled water
- A three-day supply of nonperishable food
- Batteries for your electronic devices
- Written contact list
- A weeklong supply of prescription medications and other medical necessities
If you have a pet, remember to prepare their emergency kit as well with pet food, toys, beds and other comfort objects, and vet information. Some shelters will not or cannot allow pets. Ahead of an emergency, find out which ones will all your 4-legged friends. All shelters allow service animals.
Should you need help to clean up after a fire, SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville is here to make it, “Like it never even happened.” Call us at 301-779-3662
Storm Safety: Pet Preparedness in College Park, Hyattsville
Our Disaster Recovery Teams stand ready for any size disaster.
SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights / Landover responds 24/7 to your water emergencies. Storms and other disasters can strike at any time of the day or night, so we are ready to help as soon as we are needed. Our team provides many of the services you may need after a storm blows through your area.
Our certified technicians can provide emergency roof tarping and board-up services to help prevent additional damage from the elements and provide security to your property. These services may be needed immediately if your property was damaged by falling trees, hail, high winds, tornado debris, or fire. Read to learn more about pet preparedness and some storm damage tips:
An Evacuation Plan for Your Pets
- Have a buddy system to ensure that someone can take care of your pets or help evacuate your pets if you cannot.
- Make sure to microchip your pet.
- Contact your local emergency management office, animal shelter, or animal control for additional information.
- Build an emergency kit for your pets.
What to Do After a Storm Damage
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
Whan a storm disaster occurs, call SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights / Landover to handle the mitigation and restoration process in your College Park, Hyattsville, District Heights and Landover property to eliminate mistakes. If you find yourself in need of our expertise or services, call us at 301-779-3662 or 301-577-1166.
SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights / Landover
Protecting Your Prince George’s Property from Water Damage
SERVPRO of College Park/Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights/Landover provide emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 day
Water Damage Happens in College Park, Hyattsville, District Heights, & Landover
SERVPRO® of College Park/Hyattsville and SERVPRO® of District Heights/Landover has been restoring water damage in Prince George’s County for years. Our certified professionals use the most advanced equipment to detect hidden moisture and extract standing water. Every water damage event is a little different and requires a unique solution, but the process stays the same. Water damage mitigation services commonly consist of drying, cleaning, and sanitizing contaminated areas and items. Here are some refrigerator and ice maker operation tips to reduce your risk of water damage:
- Install the ice maker supply line hose properly to avoid water damage.
- Tightly connect the hose to the valve and avoid tightening.
- Inspect the hose every six months and ensure the valve connection is secure and no kinks are present.
- Leave a three- or four-inch space between the back of the refrigerator and the wall to prevent the hose from crimping.
- Locate the water shut-off valve.
The SERVPRO® Water Damage Restoration Process
Step 1: Emergency Contact
Step 2: Inspection and Water Damage Assessment
Step 3: Water Removal / Water Extraction
Step 4: Drying and Dehumidification
Step 5: Cleaning and Sanitizing
Step 6: Restoration
Emergency Contact – 301-779-3662
SERVPRO® of College Park/Hyattsville and SERVPRO® of District Heights/Landover has highly trained certified technicians ready to respond to water emergencies 24/7 in College Park, Hyattsville, District Heights, and Landover. We have the advanced equipment and experience to help ensure your home is clean, dry, and restored to its pre-damaged condition.
Independently Owned and Operated.